PALL-EX Group has joined voices in logistics to highlight the growing crisis faced by the industry due to HGV driver shortages.
It operates a pallet network of 160 independent haulage firms across the UK: 74% of its members say they are affected by driver shortages every single day, and 100% said that the situation was causing their business to suffer.
The network is calling for the following actions to help alleviate the crisis:
- Greater incentives for young people to train as HGV drivers
- Force insurance companies to cover new drivers
- Encourage insurance companies to lower the minimum age from 25 to 21 to enable more young drivers to enter the industry
- Government support with the costs of training for an HGV licence
- Temporary relaxation of CPC regulations to allow drivers whose certification has lapsed to re-enter the workforce, with 12 months grace to complete refresher training.