Essential Paperwork For UK Hauliers Driving To The EU

UK COMMERCIAL drivers who operate in the EU will need new paperwork in addition to the documents they already carry if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Driver documents needed include: International Driving Permit(s); a passport (with at least six months validity, excluding up to nine months which may have been added to your new passport’s expiry date, and one blank page for stamping).

An ECMT permit (for journeys through the EU to third countries, i.e Ukraine), a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence and a tachograph driver card.

Vehicle documents you’ll need include: a motor insurance green card for the vehicle (and a separate one for a trailer in some EEA countries), a GB Sticker, vehicle log book and a trailer registration plate displayed and vehicle registered with DVLA.

• Hauliers will also be required to register commercial trailers from 28 March to drive before they can travel to the EU. This is a requirement from 28 March regardless of when, or how the UK leaves the EU.

In addition to driver and vehicle documents, hauliers will also need to request separate cargo and customs documents from the shipping agent.

Share this story